Disposing of a basketball hoop blob of concrete

Old 04-03-17, 07:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Disposing of a basketball hoop blob of concrete

Finally got to removing an old basketball post this past weekend. Yeah, could have left the concrete in place but didn't (and I think the post has concrete in it also).

So I figure it's about 450 - 500 pounds of concrete in a single blob. It's on a plastic dolly so I can sort of move it around the driveway. But the dolly is bending and it's really an awkward shape.

googling last night, I could look for someone to pick up the entire piece. That's got to cost lots. I saw some suggestions to break it up.

Is that a realistic process? I could rent a tool (which one), and spend some time working it. But is that gonna save money vs. someone picking it up?

Any idea what the cost will be to get rid of this? An order of magnatude - $50? $100? $500? $1000 or more? At some point, I may dig another hole and bury it ; )

Name:  2017-04-02 17.12.31.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  50.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-17, 08:46 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Digging a hole and burying it would be the cheapest solution, albeit a fair amount of work. You could rent an electric breaker hammer; that will cost you at least 50 bucks and it still won't be all that easy.

If you can borrow a pickup and can figure out how to get it loaded, most areas have concrete recyclers that will take it, probably for a small fee.

Having someone come and get it is probably the most expensive solution, but the least work. I'd try a couple of the "We'll haul anything away" places rather than the usual construction debris haulers.

Old 04-03-17, 09:43 AM
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
You sir get the over achiever award for any recent post I've read.

I also just sold my basketball hoop and got the air chisel out and took off the top 6" and need to fill in the depression.

No way I would have done that!!

Bury it!

Old 04-03-17, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Check with your town, City to see if they have a bulk pick up. Some towns it is free or at a low cost.

Old 04-03-17, 09:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 296 Posts
It might break up easier than you think with a sledge hammer, I'd find a place to bury the pieces.

Old 04-03-17, 11:20 AM
B
Marq1 - it's called OCD ; )

air chisel!? These type from Harbor freight wouldn't get me much other than a dull tool,a free flashlight and a (still) a big blob of concrete?

I found this in my shed - never used:

8 lb. Fiberglass Splitting Maul

would this be a good test if a sledge woudl work?

Where would you aim for with a sledge? The middle or you have to break off fist size pieces / start in a corner?

Old 04-03-17, 11:25 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You could use the flat side of the maul as a test for a sledge; don't use the sharpened edge.

It doesn't matter much where you hit it; just keep hitting the same spot until it starts to fracture.

Where long pants and good eye protection! Flying chips of concrete can do a lot of damage.

Old 04-03-17, 11:34 AM
B
I was just going to joke about explosives.. but then thinking - you have to drill holes. why not fill with water / let it freeze / cause cracks that way.

1) too late - it's spring
2) have to drill loads of holes

but then drilling a bunch of holes before using the mallet? drilling concrete even with concrete bit is a pain??

Old 04-03-17, 11:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't bother drilling holes, it may help but not worth the effort.

Old 04-03-17, 11:59 AM
B
sorry. one other thing - wacking at this with a sledge - what should the concrete be sitting on? I have a concrete driveway but don't want to risk damaging that to break this up. on dirt, it's that kinda a padding underneath and would cushion the blows?

Old 04-03-17, 12:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't whack at it over concrete - too risky. The ground will absorb some of the impact but should absorb less the more you swing at it.

Old 04-03-17, 02:54 PM
B
I was checking some places that google says recycles concrete. 1 said to look into bagster.

That seems to be the simplest solution? I called and their concrete limit says 10" from bottom, but that's if it was crushed / loose. As a solid piece, they say it'll work (although I am paranoid till the truck comes and takes it away 'I don't care what they say in the office, it's too big....')

$180 for pickup and $30 for bag. a deal?! ANd I can get rid of the top of the basketball hoop and other junk lying around the house ; )