External Foundation crack, But no inside crack

Old 04-03-17, 12:34 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
External Foundation crack, But no inside crack

Hello Helpers,

I have a small vertical crack outside of my basement foundation (block cement), width about 1/8 inch and about 1 feet in length. There is no crack inside of the basement, and there is no water leak. The crack was hair-line tiny width, extending maybe 4 inches from underneath the soil through top of the foundation block. This is in Ohio.

I am thinking to fill the cracks with some cements. I also saw pictures where pro also put on some kind of "tarp" outside to act as a water or vapor barrier.

1) Do you know the names of the tarp or black-paint that cover the external basement? Sell in HomeDepot?

2) Do I even need to be bother with this water barrier? Even if I put it in, I would just place it underneath the soil level to prevent water from getting into the existing cracks even after I put in the new cements.

Thanks
Sean

Old 04-03-17, 01:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If it's what I'm thinking, caulking would likely be a good enough fix. The coating you are asking about is foundation tar but it probably isn't needed. Pics might alter the advice - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: