Re-top (level) existing concrete

Old 04-09-17, 03:30 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re-top (level) existing concrete

All,

After re doing my house from plumbing to joist tc, it is time to fix my garage concreate as it is not level

I would like to belive I am a competent diy person and can do a relatively good work

My question is around the concreating as follow:

If I am covering an area of 3x4 meters , can i use paddle mixer to mix concreate 20-30 litres at a time? In another word, i don't have a concreate mixer so will need to mix and pour it myself

I am going to be lifting cars using the concreate base , so you see any dangers with topping up existing concreate?

Would you use concreate and sand or concreate and stone ready mixed just needing water?

Do you create a nice slope by using woods as a frame around the concreate? And adjust the depth and leveling as neede?

Highly appreciate your help

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-17, 03:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! "Topping" off concrete is not done successfully. The new pour will release itself from the original pour, crack and eventually fail. How deep a pour are you planning on making?

Please fill out your profile so we can know where you are located. It helps us give you more detailed advice.

Old 04-09-17, 03:52 AM
S
Thanks for your reply

I am in the uk and need to level existing concreate

I am thinking of using bounding agent which is a water mixed cement to bound the two concreate

Re depth, i am not sure but a thin to mid layer so around 15-20 mm

Old 04-09-17, 03:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 629 Votes on 581 Posts
First you would have to know why your existing concrete is not level. If the underlying cause is not fixed no thin layer of anything on top is going to last for long.

It sounds like your definition of a paddle mixer is a stirring big you put in a drill. The bit and a hand drill are totally incapable of mixing concrete. You could use a heavy duty drill at slow speed for mixing topping and repair mixes but not concrete.

Old 04-09-17, 04:17 AM
S
I means something like this

Erbauer ERB728MIX 1600W Paddle Mixer 220-240V | Paddle Mixer Tools | Screwfix.com

The reason for not being level is the concreate has slabs on it which i smashed as I hate them

Is one way of finding out how much foundation existing concreate has , to drill and see how deep it is ?

Old 04-09-17, 04:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
That type of mixing paddle is intended for paint and joint compound, not something heavy like concrete. I have used them to mix thinset and small amounts of mortar.

Old 04-09-17, 04:42 AM
S
This is what i need to level

http://i65.************/5ukajn.jpg