Does sidewalk sink issue indicate foundation bowing ?

Old 04-09-17, 11:17 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does sidewalk sink issue indicate foundation bowing ?

I am glad winter finally is gone. But I am not sure if I have a foundation bowing issue.

front yard is flat, back yard is on a slope. The issue is front yard. I noticed the sidewalk sink towrd right since last year, but I didn't pay much attention. and today it seems sink more.

front yard is flat, back yard is on a slope. The issue is front yard.I took this picture when I stand on sidewalk facing door. 1 and 2 (porch) are level, 3 (door step) and 4 (sidewalk) sink to the right. If I turn the level 90 degree, they are level
Name:  steps.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  48.6 KB

I took the first picture when I stand on sidewalk facing door. 1 and 2 (porch) are level, 3 (door step) and 4 (sidewalk) sink to the right. If I turn the level 90 degree, they are level.

Ultimately I may need to call a structure engineer to take a look. I'd like to get some idea if this issue cosmetic or I really need to worry about it.

Thank you very much!

Last edited by PJmax; 04-09-17 at 11:28 AM. Reason: added 1 pic from link
Old 04-09-17, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,421 Votes on 1,314 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I posted one picture from your many. The text that is posted on the pictures should be here.

To my untrained eye it looks like the area under the steps was either not properly filled in and has settled or was never packed down before the steps were built or something like an old tree trunk was buried and has rotted.

Old 04-10-17, 03:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
If it was a foundation issue you'd have cracks or bowing in the foundation wall. I agree with Pete that most likely the ground wasn't compacted well prior to the steps being built. The fix would be to raise the steps back to level - easier said than done

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: