Improper driveway installation? Should builder fix?

Old 04-19-17, 10:07 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Improper driveway installation? Should builder fix?

My home is on a slight slope with the driveway sloping down to the garage. After washing my car and subsequent rains I noticed that half of my driveway has a depression that allows water to drain off to the side and half does not allowing water to run to the garage On closer inspection the panels that have the drainage slope appear to be a different color and must have been torn up and replaced. I would imagine that the side that has no drainage might not be up to code but the city and a home inspector all have signed off on it. The home itself it 2 years old and I am the second owner. I've asked the builder to come out and look at the issue but he keeps saying he's out of town and never comes by after despite multiple emails and phone calls. After a snowy winter there are even more issues with the driveway include a badly cracked panel and severe flaking. No neighbors have any damage and all have proper drainage slope. Should the builder fix or is this on me? Thanks!
Name:  IMG_0594.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  44.5 KBName:  IMG_0593.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  50.4 KBName:  IMG_0592.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  50.0 KBName:  IMG_0591.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  38.4 KBName:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  26.4 KBName:  2016-08-19_025807014_CFD47_iOS.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  35.8 KB

Old 04-20-17, 03:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! It does appear the concrete has spalled and is chipping, indicating a poor pour with inferior concrete mix. A linear drain along the front of the garage is a normal installation that should have been entertained to remove all water from entering the garage and taking it all to the side. Of course a properly sloped drive apron would take care of that, too. I would keep after the builder, based on what the warranty was, as it certainly was not done right.

Old 04-20-17, 04:09 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Was a Home Warranty transferred from the 1st Owner to the 2nd ?

Old 04-20-17, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What type of warranty came with the home? Most states require a 1 yr warranty but some builders offer more. I agree that is way too much damage for 2 yr old concrete! Every house I've ever painted with a driveway like that either had the drain that Larry mentioned or slight swale in the concrete to facilitate the drainage. No question that section of slab should be replaced, the question is who pays for it.

Old 04-20-17, 02:16 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies!! I appreciate the help.

I don't know what the details of the home warranty are. I'll have to talk to my real estate agent who should know.

There are 6 homes that share an alley with the same slope. All have properly sloped driveways to divert water to the side. I guess drains aren't commonplace. We don't get too many heavy rains in this part of Oregon.

The home was built by a local custom builder who doesn't have too many homes going at once. He's supposed to be reputable so I'll keep after him!

Old 04-20-17, 03:51 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
The home itself it 2 years old and I am the second owner
I would say that unless you purchased some type of homeowner policy when you purchased the home the original warranty, if it existed, expired when the original owner sold.

I suggest that you go see a lawyer to confirm!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: