Repairing Foundation Moisture Barrier

Old 04-27-17, 07:58 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing Foundation Moisture Barrier

I live in a two-story home (technically one story with "basement", though both floors are fully finished). The home is on a slope, so most of the downstairs is subterranean (2/3 or so). Recently (last couple of years), if it rains very hard, with high winds such that the rain blows sideways, water has been seeping in to the top of the lower floor and dripping down the walls, on one side of the house. After inspecting outside, I've determined that caulking needs to be applied along the horizontal seams at the top of the cinder block walls between the two floors. But, the black moisture barrier that runs up the wall to that point is cracking and peeling very badly, which I presume is a big part of the problem too.

Is there a best way to repair the moisture barrier? It seems it's all tucked in and wrapped over the foundation parts when the house was first built, so I'm assuming replacing it is not feasible (or is it?), so I'm wondering if it can be covered with some kind of tar (like roofing tar), or covered with a new layer of moisture barrier, if there's some way to seal the top edge confidently. Any suggestions?

Old 04-27-17, 08:05 AM
C
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
Lots of different materials have been/are used for such applications. A few pictures would help us determine what materials were used and how a repair might be done.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 04-27-17, 08:53 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,311 Upvotes on 2,056 Posts
Almost anything can be repaired. The question usually comes down to cost. In your case a big part would revolve around access and if shrubbery needs to be removed, excavating done and siding removed to get at the problem areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: