Closing up a drain with tile

Old 05-02-17, 04:40 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Closing up a drain with tile

Hi

We're trying to temporarily close up an outdoor drain that backs up from time to time. We've already tried investigating the cause several times. The drain is actually just a 1ft deep squarish hole in the ground connected to a ~6" wide trench. The surrounding area is all tiled.

For now, we'd like to close it up. I was thinking to cover it up with a piece of tile. Would it be a good idea to attach it with cement rather than adhesive, since adhesive would not be near water tight? I know cement isn't water tight either, so would it be a good idea to use some paint a coal of sealant on the cement?

If it's a ok idea, does the cement need to be thick?

Any thought appreciated.

Old 05-02-17, 06:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If water is coming up and out you need to find the source of the water and stop it there. If you try to simply stick a tile on top it will break if someone steps on it or sets a chair leg on it. Also, it's likely to get pushed up by the water backing up underneath.

Old 05-02-17, 06:30 AM
D
I agree, but we've already had some guys out to investigate but to no avail. It only happens when it rains though, so the backing up pressure isn't particularly high. The drain/trench is probably blocked somewhere.

We'll be away for a while from next week, so we haven't got much time to find the source. I thought it might be a good idea to at least have it covered up before we leave to prevent any flooding when we're away. If we use thick enough cement, can the tile be held fixed and avoid backing up?

Old 05-02-17, 09:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I've seen backing up water blow (literally) tiles off the floor when floor drains are covered and I've seen hundred+ pound iron man hole covers lifted off by water backing up underneath. If water is backing up a tile stuck on the surface likely is not going to hold it back.

Old 05-02-17, 09:29 AM
D
Would it help if I pile a thicker layer of cement on top of the tile? It won't look pleasant, but as long as it holds.

Does the water pressure have to be fairly high for a tile to be blown off?

Would it be better if I use (quick set) concrete?

Old 05-02-17, 10:16 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Call a company that can examine the drain with a camera.

Old 05-02-17, 10:23 AM
D
We have called two guys with cameras out, but they couldn't find anything suspicious. Because of the limited time, I thought we might as well just cover up the drain for now - until we get back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: