patio and drainage

Old 05-05-17, 01:05 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
patio and drainage

I have a concrete patio in the backyard, and when it rains water runs across this patio, the past the back door and toward the driveway. If I replace this patio with a pavers, will I be creating drainage issues at the point where it becomes concrete again "downstream"? Drainage is already an issue in the back door area - which is why I'm considering a re-do in the first place. I need to address an improper slope in the concrete by the back door and therefore need to rip part of the concrete up... so I'm trying to figure out whether to just re-do just that one area in concrete or if some other material throughout for a bigger overhaul would be best. Please note we have a concrete slab foundation.

Old 05-05-17, 01:36 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
A typical impervious paver patio with sand grouted joints won't act much different than a concrete slab in terms of drainage. You would still need proper slope to control where the water flows and drains.

Permeable pavers are becoming more common. There are several varieties but they all allow water to pass through the pavers into the ground below. That can be useful to control drainage when site conditions don't allow for proper grade. They are also considered more eco-friendly because in some cases they avoid having storm water run off into drains.

On the other hand, it's often preferable to move water away from your foundation, regardless of type, to minimize the potential for water caused issues with the foundation. For that reason, I don't think I would use permeable pavers right next to the house unless there was no other way to get rid of the water.

If you need to lower parts of your concrete patio to achieve correct drainage, there is not much to do but rip it up. But if you could instead raise parts of it to fix the drainage problem, it might be worth looking into mud jacking, which can raise all or parts of an existing concrete patio to get proper slope.

Old 05-05-17, 02:28 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I actually considered mudjacking first, but realized that the section of concrete at issue was actually paved incorrectly, like a bowl. So now I have to consider other options.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: