Paver Question please help :)

Old 05-10-17, 07:05 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paver Question please help :)

I have 16x16" patio stones that I am going to lay to make a small patio area. I have 3/4" minus gravel that I plan to lay about 4-5" compacted with 10" hand tamp. This small area will line up to a sidewalk. If I use 1/2" of screeded sand on top of compacted gravel, how much compaction should i anticipate with rubber mallet? With plate compactor? I was thinking I'd go about a quarter inch to an 8th higher than sidewalk then pound down?

Old 05-10-17, 09:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
The settling rate all depends on what you've constructed and how hard you tamp. Hand tamping is not a reliable and good as a vibratory plate compactor so a lot will depend on your hand tamping technique. I work with 1/4" settling but that can be varied by how loose & fluffy your sand is. Then long term whether or not the patio settles will depend on your compaction of the base layers.

Old 05-10-17, 05:50 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
4-5" is not much, my current paver patio (20x22) has around 12" of compacted crushed limestone and I have good drainage soil.

It's been 9 years and I have one corner where the stones show a little drop that I will fix one day.

You really need more stone with multiple passes of machine compacion to get the material solid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: