cracked driveway apron

Old 06-09-17, 07:40 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
cracked driveway apron

Looking for guidance on how to repair this damage. It is the apron at the street but it is my responsibility unless the city paves the street and damages it more themselves.

Driveway Apron Repair by pjaffe7136 | Photobucket

I understand that pulling out the entire apron and pouring a new one is ideal but also not DIY for me and a little pricey for my budget right now. I am considering renting a concrete say to make a cut about 12 inches from the street and then pulling out the broken material and pouring a new strip there. A few things concern me about this approach. If I don't tie it into the existing apron, they will move separately and I could end up with it uneven (really, would that be worse than what I have now?). Second, there are a couple pieces of thick rebar poking through the broken edge. I was just going to put in some wire rebar during the pour. Will that suffice? Lastly, how far into the street do I need to go to ensure that it doesn't fail again?

- Peter

Old 06-09-17, 08:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Many towns are pretty fussy about the aprons so you'd probably best pass any repair plans thru them.

Old 06-09-17, 09:41 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I do appreciate the need for cit review. I am looking for reasonable options that I can use in the discussion. They certainly have the right to rule anything out. I am thinking about 2 options: total replacement and replacing a narrow strip at the end. My question is if the narrow strip is a reasonable option or if I should drop it and just go with a straight up full apron replacement. If the narrow strip can be considered reasonable, then what do I need to think about for a DIY?

- Peter

Old 06-09-17, 09:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
First you need to find out if they would accept a partial replacement. Most towns I've worked in require the apron to be a minimum of 6" thick. I don't remember if they required rebar or not. I would think but don't know that if rebar is required they want one continuous pour for the apron.

Old 06-09-17, 12:15 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
A lot of times rebar isn't allowed in the apron in case the city wants to dig it up when they work on the street. That's the way it is where I live.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: