Why is some concrete so white?

Old 06-12-17, 11:58 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Why is some concrete so white?

I'll having some concrete work done in the near future (driveway, curb, apron) and want it to be a nice medium to light gray color. There has been a lot of concrete work in my community and most if not all of it is very bright white. I do not like it this bright, as it stands out too much and is harsh on the eyes. Is something being added to the mix to make it dry so bright? What do I tell my contractor so that I can ensure my driveway does not look this way?

Old 06-12-17, 03:38 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does the contractor own his own mixers & stone yard? If not he will have to hire truck to pour the concrete. Any time that I worked on a crew, I never saw a special color ordered.

Old 06-12-17, 05:11 PM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
What you might be seeing is a curing compound that's sprayed on the concrete after placing and finishing. It's white to reflect the sunlight and keep the temperature of the concrete lower for a slower curing time. The concrete will eventually revert to a typical grey color over time.

Old 06-12-17, 05:25 PM
D
Group Moderator
Received 252 Upvotes on 202 Posts
^^^^^^ Agree with Bruce ^^^^^^

Old 06-13-17, 08:22 AM
M
Thanks fellas!...........................................

Old 06-13-17, 09:15 AM
M
What you might be seeing is a curing compound that's sprayed on the concrete after placing and finishing. It's white to reflect the sunlight and keep the temperature of the concrete lower for a slower curing time. The concrete will eventually revert to a typical grey color over time.
So would it be a bad idea to omit the curing compound in the heat of July? And how long will it take to turn gray?

Old 06-13-17, 11:27 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
There are a lot of curing compounds out there that are clear. Frankly, it's only on commercial/street projects that I've seen the white stuff used. I've never paid any attention to how long it takes for the concrete to turn grey, I just know it does.

You want concrete to cure as slowly as possible for optimal strength and durability. IMHO, covering fresh concrete with burlap and keeping it wet is the best way to cure, but that's rarely seen any more, at least around here. I would have your concrete guy use a clear curing compound, then lightly sprinkle the concrete with water as much as possible to keep it wet for at least 3 days.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: