Metal lath and scratch coat question

Old 07-19-17, 06:15 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal lath and scratch coat question

General question about lath and scratch. I am working on a hearth and will be installing natural stone veneer. I installed metal lath then did a scratch coat. When using lath and a scratch coat, does the lath carry the weight of the mortar and stone or does the mortar also bond with the concrete behind?

Second question. I didnt realize there is mortar for stone veneer. Is it ok that I used regular mortar and should I switch to the stone veneer mortar when setting my stones?

Old 07-19-17, 07:05 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hopefully, it will bond. That's why I use a bonding agent. As far as the mortar goes, what type do you call regular?

Old 07-19-17, 08:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'm not a mason but I usually see stone masons using type S mortar. Seems like I remember one of them telling me that S holds/sticks better.

Old 07-19-17, 12:36 PM
S
Type S is used for foundations & sidewalks. It's too hard for other applications. A mortar that's harder than the other components won't bond.

Old 07-21-17, 11:23 AM
J
I used type S at the recommendation of many sites that I read. By regular mortar I guess Im comparing the regular mortar vs the polymer modified mortar intended for veneer.

Old 07-21-17, 02:27 PM
S
I don't know what sites recommend Type S for anything other than foundations & sidewalks. What you call regular mortar would be Type N without lime. The modified mortar for veneer has lime in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: