Garage door / concrete issue

Old 07-22-17, 07:35 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Garage door / concrete issue

Name:  IMG_3121.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  44.5 KBI have an overhead garage door that sits on a concrete footer when it is closed. As you can see in the attached picture, the top of the footer has started to disintegrate. What happens is water runs into the garage through the low points in the footer and the dirt floor turns to mud. Right now, concreting the floor is not an option... but what I am trying to figure out is how to fix the footer. Can I just build a form around the existing footer and fill it with concrete, or do I need to reinforce it somehow? Should I chip off the unstable concrete, or will pouring fresh over that stabilize spots that are otherwise unstable? If it needs reinforcement, do I drill down and put in short pieces of rebar? and what should I use for concrete?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-17, 02:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 279 Posts
A pic with the door up would better show the extent of the damage and help us understand the best plan of attack.

Old 07-23-17, 05:15 AM
Received 364 Votes on 340 Posts
Regardless, your description clearly defines that the footer is bad shape, you really need to tear it out and replace. Attempting to patch will only result in a short lived repair so might as well put the effort into doing it once.

Old 07-23-17, 06:18 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
I disagree with Marq1. Although he is correct, the OP clearly stated new concrete work is not an option. Go ahead and do a patch job. You might want to use hydraulic cement as it might hold up a bit longer. But unless you're ready to do a big job, the patch will be good for a few years.

Old 07-23-17, 11:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with pouring new concrete but would expect cutting back some on the existing would limit the amount needed .... hard to say for sure not seeing the extent of the damage.

Old 07-24-17, 03:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Digging out in front of the slab and pouring a 4" wide/thick strip of concrete should help .... still would like to see the damage under/behind the door.

Old 07-24-17, 07:23 AM
F
Some Pictures to help....

Name:  ByDoor.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  DoorStraight.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  51.5 KB

Thanks for the responses so far! Here are a couple of pictures of the garage (Apologies for the mess!). I can't redo the whole building's foundation, but perhaps I can chip out the section starting under the door rail and then dig up the rest of the section under the door....? I'm not sure how far down it goes. And, in case you were wondering, that is indeed carpet- I guess the previous owner had a trailer he brought in there, and used the carpet to avoid damaging the tires on the bad concrete. So it sounds like the best way is for me to replace as much of the old concrete as I can, right?
Thanks again for the advice!

Last edited by ray2047; 07-24-17 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Separate images.
Old 07-24-17, 07:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't mess with the concrete under the walls but I would cut and break out the concrete under the door and either go back as far as needed or at least enough to make what you have work. Wider, thicker concrete does better than a thin patch.

Old 07-25-17, 12:01 PM
F
Would it make sense to dig in front of the crumbling concrete and create a shallow trough to channel the runoff away from the door, or would I end up destroying that when I go to replace the stretch in front of the door?

Old 07-25-17, 12:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Getting water to run away from the structure is always a good thing.