Tree damaged concrete sidewalk patched with tar / asphalt

Old 07-25-17, 12:23 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tree damaged concrete sidewalk patched with tar / asphalt

I had a sidewalk (light gray) of the following color / texture that was partially uprooted by a tree. The city repaired the sidewalk by patching with this black tar (asphalt) material which is very unsightly. Not only is the color different, the texture is not even close... I really don't want to pay to have the entire concrete paver replaced and the tar they used does level the sidewalk nicely.

Is there an easy fix to make it look nicer? I was thinking to paint the tar a light gray? Can anyone suggest a simple solution?

Pic of standard sidewalk before damage (for paint matching)

Name:  DW.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  15.2 KB

Old 07-25-17, 02:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't know of an easy solution You aren't supposed to apply sealer to asphalt until it ages a year, the same might be true of paint. Asphalt will discolor oil base paints so you'd need to use latex. Before you do anything you should contact the city as usually the sidewalk belongs to them and they might have regs about what you can or can't do.

Old 07-25-17, 06:54 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Have you talked to the city? Their sidewalk and they patched it in an ugly manner so they should fix the issue. Eliminating any trip hazard is only part of the repair, it should reasonably match. If initial contact with them does not motivate them to fix the problem, stand up at the next town/city meeting and ask WHY. If you are not familiar with council meetings do some checking so you follow their procedures.

Bud

Old 07-25-17, 04:00 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Ahh, what ugly black tar are we suppose to be looking at, all I see a normal looking sidewalk??

Old 07-25-17, 10:39 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks I'll take it up with the city as suggested. @Marq1- the picture is before the damage from years ago as I was trying to find a reasonable paint that would match the original concrete

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: