Paver Sand Compaction

Old 08-11-17, 07:07 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Paver Sand Compaction

Hi Guys,

I'm putting in a paver patio (about 12x12). I have my gravel base in and compacted with about 1 inch left for leveling sand. This would put the top surface of the pavers level with the edging, which is what I want. But when I do a final compaction on the pavers, how much will the leveling sand compact? I don't want to lay all the pavers and find out its a 1/4 inch lower than my edging.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-12-17, 12:42 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Not much, when you get your filler sand installed the pavers are pretty well locked down, the compactor is just getting the sand down into the joints.

Old 08-12-17, 04:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I usually get about 1/8" of compaction. When in doubt spread some sand in a small area next to your edging and set a couple pavers so they are flush with the edging. Then compact and it's easy to see how much compaction you will have with your sand.

Old 08-12-17, 09:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with the very good answers above.
As far as I know, sand is not compactable. You are screeding the sand and the compacter is used to push the sand into the joints and level the pavers on top of the screeded sand.
I would compare it to grouting tile joints with a float.

Old 08-12-17, 10:54 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Good info as always.

Thanks Guys!

Old 08-16-17, 10:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I have used street bricks that I will use to create a 70" x 92" walkway in front of our front steps. There was flagstone set in a mix of sand and crushed stone there. As the bricks are thicker, I will have to remove the sand mixture and dig down another 2 inches, then put the mixture back along with some additional ? concrete sand? for a bed. I want the bricks to be tight against one another when possible (the sizes vary some, adding to the fun). I'm thinking of using polymeric sand as the top fill but not if the joints are really tight? Not sure on that..FYI It gets cold here, so flucuation of temps.

Questions:
Should I use the concrete sand as the bed?
Can I use the polymeric sand if the bricks are set tight? If not, which sand to use?
Will I need to use a plate compacter on the bedding material, or will a manual compacter serve?
Should I use the compacter at the end as well?

Thanks,

65 yr-old woman who doesnt know when to stop

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: