Chimney weeping water from over saturated cinder blocks

Old 08-17-17, 01:56 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chimney weeping water from over saturated cinder blocks

Hi all,

So I've recently discovered that my masonry chimney has been leaking water onto the sheathing in my attic. A lot of wood rot repair there which is another post for another day. First things first, stop the leak. From my inspection it looks to be not the flashing (which I initially expected) but the chimney itself. Looks like the blocks are becoming over saturated with water (I live in the Pacific Northwest so it's wet). The wet bricks are then wicking the water to the sheathing (there was no vapour barrier in between the masonry and the wood) thus making it wet and then the rot starts (this is my theory anyways). Who knows how long this has been going on, I've only owned the house for 2 years and foolishly missed fully inspecting the chimney area when I bought the place. First house so I was bound to make mistakes.

In the exposed chimney above the roofline there are some areas I'll need to tuckpoint. I was more wondering about the crown which sits above the chimney opening. It's solid with no cracks but looks worn and is rough. Should I coat this maybe with a latex paint to seal it up or use the mason mix I'm using for the tuckpointing? Could this be a major area where the water is seeping in?

Also the horizontal faces of the blocks at the opening of the chimney underneath the crown are rough and pitted and look like they'd easily soak up water in the winter (we get a lot of sideways rain). Should I seal those up with latex paint or cover with mason mix or maybe another suggestion?

I've attached some pictures for reference.

Definitely a noob to all of this. Any directions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-17, 04:50 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How many flues are in that chimney? Does it handle a fireplace as well?

Old 08-17-17, 05:12 PM
I
Hey Shorty,

There are three flues yet only two fireplaces. The left flue goes to the basement open fireplace and has never been used. The centre is used for the main floor fireplace which I've now put an insert and liner into (hence the soot, due for a sweeping). The flue on the right I have no idea. Maybe for ventilation or something?