Changing septic tank to holding tank

Old 08-18-17, 03:20 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Changing septic tank to holding tank

Got an old cabin built in 1936 with a septic tank, don't know how old the tank is but I'm thinking pretty old. I've owned the cabin 15 years and when I bought it the seller said if I wanted to make a holding tank out of it he would change it right there and then. I decided to keep it as a septic tank but I'm selling the place and new rules require than any septic tank is to be changed to a storage tank.
I was going to give the seller the same option I had but I've looked at the area where the tank is buried and all I see there are two 6 inch diameter pipes sticking up out of the ground about a six inches.
One of them looks to have what looks like a very large castellated nut screwed into the end of it. The other one just has what looks like some tin sheeting wrapped around the top and fastened with stainless steel hose clamp. To me they look like inspection ports but I'm just guessing.
Does anyone have any idea what the seller was talking about.
Thanks

Old 08-18-17, 04:10 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why say anything at all.? If the buyer's inspector doesn't mention it, forget about it.

Old 08-19-17, 03:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Is the septic system being used ?? or has the cabin been hooked up to municipal sewage?

Old 08-19-17, 03:55 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I can't ascertain where the Poster is, or what State the Camp is located in.

The Health and Environmental regulations of that jurisdiction will determine what he can or can't do; and similarly, its Real Estate Laws will determine whether he has to disclose what he did or what's in the ground for a waste water disposal system.

Without knowing the location(s), it's impossible to comment further.

Old 08-22-17, 10:46 AM
D
Vermont, I don't know why you have to know where the cabin is located in order to tell me if you indeed know, how to physically change a septic tank into a storage tank. It's a simple question I don't need hear about rules and regulations I've already said that new rules require the change.

marksr, Obviously if I was hooked up to Municipal Sewage I wouldn't be concerned about changing to a storage tank.
Also just as obvious, if I wasn't using the tank I wouldn't be asking this question in the first place.

ShortyLong, Good point, so far nothing has been mentioned about it so maybe you are right, I just keep my mouth
shut. Especially as it seems no one knows how to make the change from septic to holding. I got the impression that all it required was turning a manual valve which prevented flow out into the leach fields. How to get to that valve is the question .

Sorry to be so blunt about my replies but I get tired of so called experts on forums who don't bother read the question and then waste my time asking useless questions and padding their answers with with worthless rhetoric.
At 84 years of age my time is valuable.

Old 08-22-17, 11:29 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Just to make sure I understand what you are saying, they are outlawing the drain field and you have to just use a tank that would be pumped out on a regular basis?
Sounds like a dumb plan to me but if that is required with no other options

Old 08-22-17, 11:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
With that vitriol, you might be done getting responses....

Old 08-22-17, 11:58 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by daleslad
". . . Does anyone have any idea what the seller was talking about . . ."
Too bad you didn't ask him 15 years ago . . . . is he already dead ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: