How to get rid of basketball pole with concrete in it?

Old 08-27-17, 03:45 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How to get rid of basketball pole with concrete in it?

My sister and I are getting our family home ready to sell and one of the projects was the basketball pole/goal behind the parking pad. She hired a company to remove it, but all they were able to do was pull off the top part, leaving us with about 4 feet of pole still in the ground. No amount of sledge hammering seemed to break of the concrete in the ground, and truck-pulling with a chain only broke the pole at the level where it had concrete inside.

Now my sister wants me to get someone to saw the pole off at ground level and just cover what's left with mulch. Is that even possible? Will a reciprocating saw be able to do that? And would the metal blade work once you hit the concrete inside? Or is there some other way to just cut it off?

Thanks,
Lefty3

Old 08-27-17, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Use a reciprocating saw with metal blade to deeply score around the metal pole and then hit it with a sledgehammer.

(or..... have the wife back over it)

Old 08-27-17, 04:35 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Or an angle grinder, with which you might be able to get a tad bit deeper with the same amount of shoveling. If you can get it down 5-6" you should be able to get grass to grow over it, and, depending on where you are located, it's getting pretty close to the time for fall seeding, so you could blend it in a bit better than having a small patch of mulch.

Old 08-28-17, 01:47 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I took out mine this spring and used an air chisel to take it down 6" so grass would grow. Assume you dont have a compressor then a small electric jack hammer from rental store.

You will not be able to break it up with sledge hammer, too big, solid of mass for hand tools!

Old 08-28-17, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Like Pedro, I'd use an angle grinder. IMO it would be easier than a sawsall [they like to bounce around if you don't have them firmly set]

Old 08-28-17, 05:49 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you use a sawsall, as per PJ's post, use the Ax Blade with it. It looks like a wood blade but it cuts metal like butter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: