Help with Brick Steel Lintel Support Rust and Leak

Old 09-05-17, 07:46 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Help with Brick Steel Lintel Support Rust and Leak

Hi,
I was wondering if someone can give me some advice on repairing my steel supports. Please see attached pictures. I'm not exactly sure if these are actual angle lintels or not. I have two sheets of steel that supports brick and a concrete walkway above. The space in between the two steel pieces constantly leaks water when it rains from the concrete walkway above. They are getting badly rusted. What can I do to repair these myself? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Attached Images     
Old 09-05-17, 08:56 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you want to replace the steel or patch it? If you want to replace it, a temporary header needs to be built behind it. Before you do anything, look at the flow of the water when it rains. Can it be redirected?

Old 09-05-17, 08:57 AM
M
I would like to patch and repair it, not replace. Thanks

Old 09-05-17, 09:09 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That makes things a lot easier. As I said, look at the flow of the water, from the walkway. Use a hose to test it, if necessary. Is there a drain there? How is it pitched? There is no sense in patching it if it's going to happen again.

Old 09-05-17, 10:46 AM
M
I forgot to mention that I already caulked the above concrete and I believe I have solved the problem of the leak. What can I use to seal the space between the two steel plates? Special caulking or putty of some kind?

Old 09-05-17, 11:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd use a butyl or polyurethane caulk. As for the rust, scraping/sanding, a coat of oil base primer and oil finish paint should help them out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: