Pouring a slab for a basketball court

Old 09-10-17, 11:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pouring a slab for a basketball court

Hey guys. I've torn up my old basketball court, which was just a slab for an old shed. It was 15' x 19'. I'm going to expand it to 19' x 23'. What tools will I need to rent to do this job? I'll get 2x4s and stakes. What else? A couple trowels, a bull float, a fresno? Rebar? If I want fiber mesh, is that something I request to put in on the mixing truck, or is it something I add when we pour it? Also, for a basketball court, what kind of brush should I use to finish it? Don't want it super rough, but not so smooth that it's slippery. Thoughts?

Old 09-10-17, 05:48 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Lay the forms & the mesh before the truck arrives. The mesh should be about an inch above grade. If you are going to add one or two control joint, have a control joint tool.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MWxqyZ0ATwY/hqdefault.jpg

Old 09-10-17, 06:37 PM
J
Cool. I'll add the control joint tool to my list. Isn't fiber mesh something you throw into the mix? I don't want to use wire mesh. I was going to use fiber mesh and rebar instead.

Old 09-10-17, 09:13 PM
D
I never used fiber mesh. I can't comment on it.

Old 10-04-17, 03:50 PM
J
With the grade of my lawn, the top of my forms ended up being about 8 inches above ground. I don't need an 8 inch slab, but need to fill in about 4 inches. Would it be cheaper to fill it with gravel, or just go extra thick with the concrete?

Old 10-04-17, 04:33 PM
D
8" of concrete will cost a fortune. You could add dirt, compact it & then throw down some crushed recyle before the truck pours the concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: