Fire Pit Ring

Old 09-20-17, 02:33 PM
D
doc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fire Pit Ring

We want to build a fire pit with a metal ring in our new backyard. We had one at our old house made from an old tractor rim. I see lots of metal rings for sale but am concerned they will be too thin to last. The tractor rim lasted 10 years just fine so I'm thinking if I can find a dedicated ring that's as thick I should be okay. So my question is what's a good thickness for such rings? Or, how thick is the metal on a tractor rim?

Old 09-20-17, 03:17 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I have 20 boulders about 18-24" that have been in place for 10 and probably will last another 30!

Old 09-21-17, 05:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
The thicker the steel the better. Most fire pits and rings you see in catalogs and stores are quite thin, maybe 14-16 gauge. But, if looking for a tractor rim why do you care? Just get a tractor rim. You can contact local metal fabrication and welding shops to see if any have the ability to roll steel. A simple ring is relatively inexpensive and they may even be able to make your ring out of a piece of drop/scrap to help keep the cost down. I would look for something at least 11ga with 7ga being even better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: