Concrete edging

Old 06-15-18, 01:02 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Concrete edging

Going to do some concrete work, small path. I've done concrete before so not unexposed to it. I've always used a 3/8" radius, 1/2" lip edger. I see there are different type, 1/4" radius, 1/8" radius, different lip lengths, etc.

Knowing there are obvious visual differences, is there some other reason you would use the different types? i.e. are smaller radius visually better for walkways, where larger radius are better for large areas. Is using one type easier than the other. (I'm still a an apprentice at concrete and sometime the edging take awhile as my technique isn't natural yet.)

Basic question is why use one type of an edger vs the other.

Thanks

Old 06-15-18, 03:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I've got tractors, excavators and other equipment and sometimes use medium sized equipment to clear snow from my driveway so I'm hard on the corners of pavement. I've noticed that larger radius corners are more resistant to chipping. If you're just doing a walkway that won't see equipment then you can use a smaller radius. So, that leave do whatever you think will look best.

Old 06-15-18, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Just remember that if you are working on the edging and you are bringing up much water, you are doing it too soon and you are weakening the surface in the process. Never work concrete too soon if its still wet. Once the water has bled off, then it's time. If you bring up much water, wait a little longer.

Speaking personally, I don't want to see much of an edge where the flat part of the edger ends. I blend that back into the surface with a mag. Some guys like to leave a big square design on every piece of sidewalk. I hate that look.

Old 06-15-18, 07:31 PM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Just remember that if you are working on the edging and you are bringing up much water, you are doing it too soon and you are weakening the surface in the process. Never work concrete too soon if its still wet. Once the water has bled off, then it's time. If you bring up much water, wait a little longer.

Speaking personally, I don't want to see much of an edge where the flat part of the edger ends. I blend that back into the surface with a mag. Some guys like to leave a big square design on every piece of sidewalk. I hate that look.
I agree, for some reason it always reminds me of being at school??? I always remove the line also.

My main issue with edging isn't bringing up water, it's that the edges seem to cure out faster than the rest and wind up crumbling in places when I edge it. More like not enough water is there. I'm not able to push the aggregate down into the mix so I'll have some places where it's not as smooth as most of the edge. The aggregate is aggravating.

Edit: I prespray the forms with a mist of water prior to placing the concrete inside. Still occurs.

Last edited by Tumble; 06-15-18 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Addl Info
Old 06-15-18, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Sounds like you may need to edge it sooner then. It should not be so dry that it is crumbley as you edge it... if it is you waited too long. It's got to be wet enough that you bring the Portland and fines to the surface.

Oil your forms. I have used old motor oil in a garden sprayer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: