Faux Stone Installation

Old 09-11-18, 10:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Faux Stone Installation

I'm building this sign and am almost done with the concrete block core which sits on a monolithic concrete foundation. I will be installing El Dorado manufactured stone to the block and the coundation. Would you recommend using a bonding agent and a scratch coat on the concrete block? And what mortar would you recommend? Thanks

Attached Images    
Old 09-12-18, 04:07 PM
T
Received 48 Upvotes on 41 Posts
I recommend a scratch coat on the block and on the foundation. This is to provide some suction for the cement for the stone. What is more important than a scratch coat for the foundation is that it be completely clean of oil or other form release material. Poured concrete usually has plenty of suction but is sometimes too smooth to get a good bond. Either clean, clean it and scratch it or clean it and use a bush hammer to get some roughness for the stone to bond to. Or you can mix up a real rich dash coat and dash it onto the foundation after you clean, clean it.

Old 09-12-18, 06:45 PM
Thanks very much tightcoat!!

Old 09-13-18, 04:09 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Is it a ledge stone, loose lay, random lay, etc. Ledge stone types would be the most user friendly as there is no grouting. I have used type N mortar with sand and I have read others who just used a modified thinset.

Old 09-17-18, 06:56 AM
Yes, it is "Rustic Ledge" style by El Dorado Stone. I won't be using grout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: