Drilling near edge of cinder block

Old 02-12-19, 11:07 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drilling near edge of cinder block

I want to hang to dish racks from the wall of my home, which is made from cinder blocks. The space where I'd like to hang them borders a door jamb. I'm wondering how close to the edge of the block and the door jamb I can safely drill a concrete anchor. If all things were equal I'd love to do it at about an inch and a half, but I can squeeze things up and put it at 3 to 4 in away from edge of block if needs be.

II guess in the end the dish racks will only need to hold about 20 to 30 lb or whatever a full load of dishes is. perhaps I'm being paranoid, but better safe than sorry!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 02-12-19, 11:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Drill in the hollow between the webs and use toggle bolts. They will hold even better.

Old 02-13-19, 02:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Are your interior walls exposed cinder block? Usually there is drywall hung to furring strips which are generally on 24" centers.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 02-13-19, 04:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
There is no hard rule how close you can drill to the edge of a cmu block without it cracking or breaking. Safest is to drill into the center of a cell. The closer you are to an edge the greater the risk that the block will crack. Using a cordless hammer drill can reduce the risk of cracking versus using a heavier duty tool like a rotary hammer as the impacts/hammering are less intense though it will drill a bit slower.

Old 02-14-19, 05:20 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Stressing the anchor when attaching the shelf is more likely to crack the block rather than drilling hole for anchor. Solution is to install more anchors than needed to support the weight of dishes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: