Repairing scratches/gouges on interlock brick

Old 03-23-19, 07:53 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Repairing scratches/gouges on interlock brick

I’m looking for advice on how to minimize white scratches:gouges on interlock. We had a significant amount of ice buildup on our porch this year and needed to use an ice breaking tool to remove it. Now that the snow has melted it has revealed a number of scratches/gouges left by the metal end of the tool that was used.

Im looking for ways to minimize the white appearance as well as even out some of the gouges.

Any advice /product suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I would happily post a photo, just not sure how!

Thank you!

Old 03-23-19, 08:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Putting pictures in your post appears at the top of the forums.

How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 03-23-19, 11:39 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Nothing your going to be able to do to repair, the only thing you might try is a sealer, it may just give enough color change that the scratch will be "LESS" visible.

Try on a similar test brick first!

Old 03-23-19, 11:48 AM
L
Photo of Paver

Thanks Marq1 for your feedback. If I can minimize the appearance of the white hash marks, I'll be happy.

Here is a photo of one of the bricks:

Name:  thumbnail_IMG_6938.jpg
Views: 7755
Size:  207.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-23-19 at 04:46 PM. Reason: resized picture
Old 03-23-19, 01:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
There isn't much you can do about the gouges and scratches except prevent them. Prevention is important as stone and concrete don't heal. Every gouge and scratch you make will be there forever.

The white you are seeing is powdered paver. A pressure washing will get rid of most of the white or you can scrub with a brush and water. If you still have white on the stone see if wetting it makes the white go away. If it does then you can use a small brush and touch up the scratches with concrete sealer. A wet or semi wet look sealer seems to work best but you have to be careful to match your pavers.

Your scratches aren't too bad compared to mine. You need to come look at my driveway. I used a front end loader this winter and it shaved the brushed texture off my drive in several places.

Old 03-23-19, 02:06 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
IMO they really dont look too bad, might want to just hold off any "improvement"!

Obviously they are a focal point right now, but they may fade away with time to the point they are not as much of an issue!

Old 03-23-19, 04:39 PM
L
Thank you for your feedback everyone. This is just one step of nine that look like this. I am hopeful it will fade over time! Pilot Dane, do you have suggestions for a sealer and how to ensure it matches? I plan on pressure washing them once the weather gets a bit warmer here and doing the wet sealant as you've suggested. That said, instead of touching up I was considering doing all the steps and the front walk.

Old 03-24-19, 04:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Make sure you look at samples of the sealer before doing everything. Some of the wet look ones can make the patio/stairs slippery when wet.

Old 03-25-19, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
what about cement dye and a small paint brush?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: