Expanding an existing brick porch questions

Old 05-22-19, 06:38 PM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Expanding an existing brick porch questions

I have an existing concrete porch/steps that appear to have been covered with brick. I would like to extend the porch along the front of the house (green area in picture), this increased area would be 9.5' long x 4' deep and about 20" high. Does the foundation for this need to be a tall concrete slab or can it be a cinder block base filled with concrete? I would imagine a concrete slab would have to be poured deep in the ground which would mean a ton of concrete so cinder clocks may be a cheaper alternative. I know I would have to leave enough room to cover the top/sides with brick to match as well. If there are any other alternatives I'm all ears. Would I have to connect the addition to the existing brick or foundation of the house with rebar no matter which option i use (concrete/cinder block + concrete) any info would be appreciated.

Name:  house.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  24.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 05-22-19 at 09:12 PM. Reason: cropped/enlarged picture
Old 05-23-19, 08:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I suggest you do some reading on construction. CMU (cinder blocks) are never foundation. You must pour a concrete footer then erect your block wall on top of that. The depth for your footer depends partially on your location and the construction of your home.

Because of the previous excavation to build your home the soil next to the house and porch is not virgin. Often you are required to go to the same depth as the house's footers unless the soil at a shallower depth passes a compaction test.

oneo10 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: