exterior wall repair

Old 03-08-23, 02:46 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
exterior wall repair

I have a repair to do on my rear brick wall on my house . This house was built in the 1960's and they had a deck on the rear of it . However the house floor joists were extended (continued) outside to make up the deck flooring . I never saw any of the deck, and they cut the joists flush to the exterior of the brick veneer . How do I cut back the wood joist and what do I use to patch the hole in the brick ? Should I use a quick set mortar or concrete to repair it ?

Old 03-08-23, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Not an easy question to answer sight unseen. But you'll probably need a multi-tool and a couple dozen blades that are about 1 1/4" wide. You could also hog out a lot of the wood with a drill and 35mm forstner bit, then just use the multi-tool to clean up what's left after drilling the ends back.

The worst part of that situation is that cantilevered decks are always difficult to seal up, and your brick veneer is not waterproof, so you likely will have (already have) some water intrusion and damage hidden behind the brick.

Rather than doing a cosmetic repair, the best thing to do would be to remove the brick around these joists in a limited area... cut the joists flush with the rim joist or sheathing, apply a weather resistant barrier (WRB or flashing membrane) and then brick the hole you made back up. Then move over 16-24" and repeat until you're done.

Brick can usually be matched fairly closely. A good Mason would be able to do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: