Difference Between Concrete Caulk/Sealant/Filler/Epoxy

Old 04-14-23, 05:32 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Difference Between Concrete Caulk/Sealant/Filler/Epoxy

There are so many concrete products out there I'm really confused about which one to use where. I have three things I need to do:

1. Seal around the foundation of my house (brick) between the house and the driveway (concrete).
2. Seal in between the expansion gaps in my driveway.
3. Fill in several small cracks in the driveway.

I was getting some caulk the other day and found this in the caulk aisle so I picked it up thinking it's what I should use to seal around the foundation:

After getting home, I was looking online and saw there are other sealants that are in the concrete aisle as opposed to the caulk aisle like this:

Then there are these big tubs of concrete patch like this one:

And finally, there are two-part epoxies.

At this point I'm thoroughly confused! What exactly is each of these products for? What do I need to get for 3 projects I have?

Old 04-14-23, 05:49 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
The Silkaflex product is a self leveling product that works on flat surfaces only. It's a thick liquid so it will not work on anything vertical. You also have to fill the gap with sand or backer rod otherwise it will simply drain away.

The caulk is used for anything vertical.

The tub is a patching material for repairing the surface of concrete.

Adriane S voted this post useful.
Old 04-14-23, 08:25 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for your reply! I already have backer rod. So would the caulk I got work to seal between the foundation and my driveway? Then I assume the Sikaflex would be used on the expansion joints. Will it also work for the cracks or should I be using something different there?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: