Brick front porch repair

Old 05-11-23, 07:51 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Brick front porch repair

Hi, I need to do a fix on my front porch along with some repointing.
Is a fix like this even possible? and if so, what mortar or cement do I need to use so it'll hold up.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by PJmax; 05-11-23 at 01:44 PM. Reason: resized pic
Old 05-11-23, 09:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
Someone has previously "fixed" that area so you can see how well it will last. It can be repointed but there is movement going on so it will likely only be a matter of time before cracks reappear.

A truly proper fix will likely be expensive and may require rebuilding the porch as problems like that are a result of a foundation/footer problem. But don't panic. Almost everything cracks eventually and that porch could have decades of life left.

If you want to work on it yourself I would get type N mortar with sand so all you have to do is add water. Type N is softer and weaker than type S and contains more lime so it is more flexible and better at resisting cracking. Type N should only be used above ground. You can pack the mortar into the cracks or you might find a grout bag helpful to squirt it in.

Old 05-11-23, 01:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,155 Upvotes on 3,731 Posts
I think it's going to take a little more than mortar.
We can see that is the corner and the front is separating from the side.
Without some type of splicer(white) set in the joint.... the wall will keep separating.

I might even consider drilling in between the joint in the forward facing bricks and running a lag bolt(red) into the sheathing.... maybe even two.

Old 05-11-23, 05:05 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi, Yeah that was gonna be my next question about the corner. I'll try the long lags and splicers and then mortar like Dane was saying. Ya know, it's a shame, we bought this house 2 years ago and now all this is happening, Granted, you can see this was a problem before but i have sidewalks drifting too. So, it' s a never ending battle.
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how it works out.
Joe

Old 05-12-23, 05:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
We can't see enough in the picture to tell but see if you can figure out how the porch was built. Often the brick is just a veneer on the face so it's only one brick thick. This makes it difficult to bolt without cracking more bricks. If you do try that method I'd avoid using expanding anchors and instead embed threaded rods with epoxy. Then you can tighten the nuts to pull the corner in or hold it in place. Usually when I do this I put a heavy piece of steel angle or channel on the outside so I can support the full stack of brick.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: