Cleaning basement concrete floor

Old 10-13-23, 06:43 AM
M
Received 6 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Cleaning basement concrete floor

Not sure if this is the correct category to post my question, but it does concern concrete.

We're getting close to the end of our home rebuild (after our loss in Dec.) and hope to be moving back in a month or so. Our basement will be used more for recreation (watching tv, grandson playing, etc.) and no flooring will be installed at this time. (Our $$ is being best spent elsewhere right now)

Because the mudders that did the sheetrock down there never covered the floors, there were plenty of globs of sheetrock compound along with all the dust from sanding. I have swept, vacuumed and scrubbed the floor with soap and water. This still doesn't seem to be enough to have cleaned the floor!

I do plan on vacuuming the floor again and possibly scrubbing it one more time. Is there anything special I can/should use to get rid of the remaining dust? We hope to be able to afford putting flooring down there next year, but want it usable in the meantime.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-23, 06:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,116 Upvotes on 1,895 Posts
Let the floor, more specifically the sheetrock mud, thoroughly dry. Then use a flat hoe or floor scraper to remove the blobs of mud. Then you'll be left with a thin layer of residue that can be scrubbed off with water.

As for the dust, hosing the floor down then vacuuming with a wet dry shop vac is probably the best though you could get away with wet or damp moping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: