Metal Handrail in Concrete Steps with offset pad/tread

Old 10-26-23, 01:46 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Metal Handrail in Concrete Steps with offset pad/tread

I'm wanting to install a 3-post cable railing system on my home's front concrete steps. There is the sidewalk, then one tread, then the top platform (two steps up). The top platform is a poured slab over the top of poured foundation, and the front and sides of that slab overhang the foundation by about 6 inches. However, both the sidewalk and the one tread are even in width with the poured foundation, so they are narrower in width than the top pad. If I were to install the posts in alignment with the edge of the tread, the top posts will be too far into the pad and subsequently too close to the front entry door frame/opening. However, if I install the top posts near the edge of the top pad where they should be, there is little to no material for the post to be anchored on the one tread. I'm looking for insights as to how to rectify this. I don't want the cable to simply angle in by offsetting the post on the tread. However, to align the tread post with pad posts in the proper position I need something like additional concrete poured next to/same height as the tread, a set of green treated posts driven down into the ground next to the tread, or material such as a section of a 4x4 green treated post cut to the depth of the tread, anchored sideways into the bottom tread. Open to thoughts on how to best approach this short of having the sidewalk and tread re-poured (not feasible).

Old 10-27-23, 05:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,183 Upvotes on 1,953 Posts
A picture would help a lot in understanding your situation.

Would attaching posts to the sides of the steps be an option and would that solve your problem?

Old 10-27-23, 10:54 AM
T
Attaching to the side will still require some type of blocking on the side of the first tread. A possibility, however I have surface mount posts at the moment so hoping to use those as they match what I used on my deck this past summer. Pics linked.

Edge view showing top pad, tread, and sidewalk.

View showing pad on top of/overlapping the poured foundation.

Old 10-28-23, 01:20 PM
P
Group Moderator
There are pre-fab railings that would work. You'd have everything mounted on the top face of the steps and porch. The railing would joggle over a few inches at the top of the steps to match the wider porch. Doing the joggle will be annoying since it will be so small and a straight railing would be easier but...

Old 10-30-23, 01:20 PM
T
Thank you, Pilot Dane. I've thought the same...about the jog and about it being annoying. That, and if I still did a top mount with some type of additional support on the side of the first tread, would I be getting too close to the edge of the tread for one set of screws such that I could risk cracking it. The jog will be a pain, but may be the best way to go all things considered.

Old 10-31-23, 05:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Yes, you risk cracking the concrete anytime you drill or use expanding anchors near the edge. In that situation I prefer to grout or epoxy anchors instead of using expanding ones. Keeping your holes as far away from the edge as possible also helps minimize the chance of cracking.

Old 10-31-23, 07:33 AM
T
Thank you. I'm planning to use Tapcon's instead of expanding anchors. I see a lot regarding how close I can/cannot be to the edge of the stoop. Any suggestions on the minimal distance to avoid cracking?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: