Soft kiln brick recipe

Old 01-27-24, 10:43 AM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Soft kiln brick recipe

I want to make my own electric kiln and I am too cheap to spend $200 for already made brick if possible. Any idea what the recipe is for a soft kiln brick that I can then carve out the grooves for my wire? I made a charcoal kiln about 15 years ago with sand and plaster mixed together but that was pretty hard.

Old 01-27-24, 12:48 PM
S
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'd like to hear more about your charcoal kiln and the brick recipe.

Old 01-27-24, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 916 Upvotes on 774 Posts
How many bricks do you need? My local farm store has a pack of 6 for $15. (Each brick measures 9″ x 4 -1/2″ x 1-1/4″) https://www.meecomfg.com/products/firebricks/

Old 01-27-24, 03:55 PM
T
Received 55 Upvotes on 46 Posts
Look here for one idea. you can put the channels in for the wires before it gets hard.

https://pacificmolds.com/blogs/casti...ractory-cement

Old 01-27-24, 06:33 PM
H
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Those appear to be hard bricks like clay or something, I need soft kiln bricks so I can carve out groove for my heating wire and hold them in place with large staples.

I am pretty sure it was 1/3 sand 2/3 plaster mixed together in a metal pail. Placed an empty jug in the center to displace the area. when it dried I removed the jug and had an insulated bucket of sorts. Made a lid for the top as well with same mixture.

Old 01-28-24, 05:56 PM
T
I’ve never tried it but it seems like you could preform or precarve channels for the wires before you fire the bricks,There must be plenty fo information on YouTube and google how to make fire bricks or poured or cast in place linings for a kiln.
Please keep us informed what you do and how it works.

Old 01-28-24, 06:02 PM
T
Plaster is made from gypsum. Gypsum is mined and processed in different ways but it is burned to drive off water molecules that are part of the gypsum crystal molecules. That water is replaced when the plaster is mixed with water. More water than is necessary to hydrate the plaster makes it plastic and workable but when it has set and dried it is the same in form as when it was mined. So heating will drive off the water of hydration again and you will loose the strength and hardness. I think plaster will not work for a kiln.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: