How to attach to a brick or masonry wall

Old 03-03-24, 02:35 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How to attach to a brick or masonry wall

We purchased a new home with this wall / fence between us and the neighbors.

One section of the wall has the top shield loose and a picture provides a look into the construction. The foam in there, only within the top row, appears to be rather useless.

What type of wall is this? Is the proper name brick, masonry, cinder block, or something else?

Regardless, the wooden fencing needs to be extended to the end of the wall near the front of the house. The shown section was installed before we moved in but with no preservatives. Just the raw wood. It was taken down, an oil base preservative applied to the 2x4s and the fencing slats, then put back up.

A problem developed. Looking at the 2x4 to the right, the end item, there are three bolt holes in it and the middle bolt is missing. The 2x4s had to be pried off the wall and when repositioning them, a couple of bolts were pushed back into the wall. I suspect the hole was drilled at other than the center of the block. I think, hope, that two bolts will be sufficient.

To extend the wooden fence part I purchased some concrete anchors.

But discovered that the expansion part, the bronze-colored segment, is rather small and is a bit larger than the 3/8 inch hole drilled for the anchor. It must be hammered in. It is also a concrete anchor, which, to me, is not the same as brick or masonry. Both of those materials seem to be less solid than what I call concrete. I now have doubts as to if the concrete anchor is the best part to use. I watched several videos with masonry in the title, but,the host starts talking about concrete and does not mention masonry.

At the moment the best option for attaching the 2x4s to the wall seems to be a lag shield. Are there other options I have yet to discover?

I will very much appreciate the opinions of someone with a bit of experience in this arena.

Old 03-03-24, 04:37 PM
C
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
I would call that concrete block or cinder block. Look for Double expansion anchors, they usually work well in both the solid and hollow parts of the block because they expand over the whole length of the anchor instead of just at the end.

The strongest and most reliable way to fasten would be to thru-bolt, but the appearance of the bolt heads and washers on the opposite side of the wall may be objectionable.

I'd be a little worried that the wall might not be up to supporting the wind or other sideways loads created by extending the wall height by a couple of feet. Hopefully some of the block voids have rebar or are grouted and the wall has a proper footing. You really don't want to find it pushed over after your first big wind event....

bkelly13 voted this post useful.
Old 03-03-24, 07:08 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The double expansion anchor looks like the way to go. For a 3/8 inch bolt it needs a 3/4 inch bit. Too much for my hand drill so I will need to rent the drill motor.
I would not have come up with that one, so, thank you for your time and patience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: