Concrete Resurfacing

Old 03-14-24, 04:44 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete Resurfacing

We have about 700 sq ft of stamped concrete that needs to be resurfaced. The sealing has worn away and there are areas that are exposed down to the base concrete and other areas that have leaching with white salt crystals forming.

It's been difficult to find a local contractor that does this type of resurfacing. I have one that has given us a quote for:
Skim sand
Pressure wash
Apply base coat
Apply stain
Apply slip-resistant granules
Seal with ECOclear

Is this process the best way to handle the resurfacing?

Thank you!

Old 03-15-24, 06:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,328 Upvotes on 2,070 Posts
Concrete is a material that doesn't do well with repair. There will always be a cold (weak) joint between the new and old. Concrete can be resurfaced but I do not consider it a permenant fix.

The process for you is complicated by the stamped, stained and sealed concrete, especially the sealing. How well the new overlay sticks will depend heavily on the quality of the prep work. Because sealer was previously used you may need very high pressure pressure washing or diamond grinding to remove the old sealer and the concrete it soaked into. This is especially important where the sealer probably remains like down at the bottom of cracks and texture.

I completely understand why you are having a hard time finding someone willing to do this work. I would not take the job. Done properly, this job is labor intensive and may not be much cheaper than pouring a new slab. The risk of this overlay beginning to fail in a few years is high.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: