Concrete block safe to step on the side?

Old 04-05-24, 11:22 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Concrete block safe to step on the side?

The step in front of the garage door is too narrow. I extended it by putting concrete blocks sideways. Any chance of the side wall collapsing? Would you rather fill the openings? Thank you.

Old 04-05-24, 12:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
It will probably be ok although that is the weak side of the blocks. The biggest danger is them not staying in place. IMO it wouldn't be all that big of a deal to form up and pour concrete to enlarge your stoop.

Old 04-05-24, 04:04 PM
P
As far as someone more experienced with concrere block feels okay with it, I am okay with it. Thank you.

It is the narrowest place between the front and the back of my house. If I pour concrete, even a wheel barrow will not be able to pass.

Old 04-05-24, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
We had steps like that at my folks house for 40 years, they never broke. Course they weren't wheeling Subzero refrigerators in and out on an appliance cart either. If you're worried about it go get some 4" solids. I wouldn't be.

But thinking back, the folks had them turned 90 degrees so that you were looking at the end of the block... not the cores.

Old 04-06-24, 03:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
If I pour concrete, even a wheel barrow will not be able to pass.
I'd mix the concrete in a wheelbarrow close to that door. No need to wheel it from elsewhere.

Old 04-10-24, 08:40 PM
P
Marksr,
The place is the narrowest spot to the backyard. If I poured concrete and made a permanent step, I would have to hand carry everything for any backyard project. But concrete blocks can be pushed aside when I need to move mulch bags to the backyard garden on a wheelbarrow.

​​​​​​Sleep,
I will rotate them 90 degrees for appearance sake.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: