Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

Need advice on proper way build out wall with niche/built-ins

Need advice on proper way build out wall with niche/built-ins

Old 02-06-16, 05:14 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice on proper way build out wall with niche/built-ins

I'm refinishing my downstairs into a entertainment area and decided to build out the top half of the walls to line up with the foundation walls ( previous owner delt with this by putting a waist high shelf around the whole room..not very flattering )

What is the correct way to deal with this? I was thinking of building full walls made out of 2x8 (The width of the foundation walls) once set in place, just cutting out the appropriate stud locations to box out the niches, trim them out, then throw an arched piece of MDF or prefab molding on the niches I'd like more decorative.

I see on youtube lots of people doing these built-ins using 3/4 birch plywood, glue, screw and paint.

Is building the walls over kill?? I attached a picture to explain better what I am trying to do.

Name:  wall niches.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  33.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-16, 08:32 PM
R
Here is an actual picture of the wall just in case I wasn't clear in what it is I am trying to achieve.

Name:  20160206_182454.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  27.5 KB

Old 02-06-16, 09:45 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Building wall sections and then slipping them in place is probably the fastest way to go. Build them a bit short (1/4") and then use shims above the top plate.

But I don't see any need for 2x8s, I'd just use 2x4's. and leave empty space behind.

Building the niches as little boxes and then slipping them in is a good way to do it. I'd probably take the time to figure out their exact location and just frame the rough opening while building the wall, just as if the niche box was a window that gets installed into the rough opening. That will be easier and faster than cutting out the studs after the fact.

Any wood members against the concrete need to be pressure treated or separated with something like sill sealer.

Looks like it will be a nice space!

Old 02-07-16, 10:25 AM
R
Thanks for the reply. Good point, I guess I really don't need 2x8s I was thinking in terms of building the niches into the wall but as you stated building them separate as boxes that slide in makes much more sense!

Looks like I will have to do a little more demo by removing the strapping and 2x4s that are in place on top of the foundation wall as they are not pressure treated (nor is the strapping that is glued to the foundation walls but I think I will leave that as it is old construction and grandfathered in?)

I feel like the deeper I get into this rehab the more steps I take backwards. Never expected to take it all the way down to the frame and joists but do it right and do it once! It should all be worth it in the end.

Old 02-07-16, 11:00 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd check with your inspector before ripping up the stuff that's there just to replace with PT. If it's been there a long time and shows no signs of water he or she may give you a pass.

DIY certainly has a habit of snowballing! As soon as you start opening stuff up it's like that thread that you pull....

Old 02-07-16, 05:34 PM
R
I'm sure the inspector would most likely let it slide.

Basically whats there now is 2x4's on their sides ( along the edge of the concrete sill, with strapping (furring strips) nailed to the sides of them and blocks of 2x3 every so many feet to give the 2x4s something to nail into. See picture below..

I think I may be better off starting the wall with PT 2x4 bottom plate tapcon-ed directly into the sill of the concrete wall. Building a wall on top of whats already there may cause cracks due to 3 connecting pieces verses 2 or at the very least be less straight? What do you think?

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  23.5 KB