Help with kitchen cabinet painting

Old 03-16-16, 08:12 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink Help with kitchen cabinet painting

We moved into a house last year that had beautiful hardwood cabinets, but we hated the color. We cleaned them with TSP, sanded them down well, tack clothed them, and primed with 2 coats of Zissner's tinted wood primer and painted with 2 coats of semi-gloss latex paint. (HEAD SMACK)

I don't know what I was thinking! I'm not new to painting, but I should have gotten a harder paint. It's now chipping off in little bits here and there and you can see through to the lighter colored tinted primer.

We love the color and honestly the finish LOOKS really good, so I don't want to start over. I'm wondering if I can touch up the chips and then put some sort of super hard clear coat product over it? I don't want it to be any shinier than semi-gloss. But I need the chipping to stop!

Thanks for any help.
Jeannie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-16, 11:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Waterborne enamel paint tends to be the consensus around here for cabinets and shelves and such - dries just about as hard as oil based enamel but doesn't yellow like it.

Old 03-16-16, 02:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
Is just the latex enamel chipping or is the primer coming off also?

Not a whole lot you can easily do now The choices are to just touch up the chips, aggressively sand and apply another coat of enamel [I also recommend waterborne] or strip the finish and start over.