Not sure how to set wall cabinets in study

Old 03-31-16, 10:45 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not sure how to set wall cabinets in study

Just finished putting up bookcases along two walls in our study, and I'm just about to commence the built-in twin desks along another wall. My initial thought was that I would place a single 30" high cabinet on the wall between the two desks (matching the computer cabinet below that's placed between the desks) and have two 36" wide x 15" high cabinets on either side to give some space above the desks. The basic idea was that all three cabinets would line up along the top edge, creating a kind of T-shape.

I drew up the lines on the wall yesterday and started wandering if I should have a rethink on the matter. While the middle cabinet is perfectly fine and at the usual height for wall cabinets (bottom edge is 55" above ground level), the two side cabinets look a tad high - I'm 6' 1" and the bottom edge of the cabinets sit about an inch or two above my line of sight, or about the height of over-the-fridge cabinets. I could possible step them down 3 - 4 inches, but if I do that I'll have to make the middle cabinet deeper by a few inches to accommodate the crown molding I was going to run along the top of all three cabinets.

Adding a few inches in height to the side cabinets so I can drop them down and still have the top edge parallel with the middle cabinet is not an option, as I bought the doors some time ago when I drew up all the plans. So it's either stick with the original idea, or make the middle cabinet deeper and drop the side cabinets down a bit. Of course, I could drop all three cabinets down 3 -4 inches. I have the middle cabinet at the standard height for a kitchen wall cabinet, but as the desks are at the conventional desk height of 30", as against kitchen base cabinets, perhaps the rule of thumb is to drop wall cabinets above desks down accordingly? Not sure - I've done plenty of kitchen installs, never a study.

Attached Images  

Last edited by nicksDIY; 03-31-16 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-31-16, 12:49 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I'd drop the top cabinets down. With the base cabinets at 30 instead of 34.5, you'll have plenty of space in between and it will be easier to reach stuff on the top shelves.

That space on top where the crown will be would be a good place to put upward firing lighting for general room lighting.

Old 03-31-16, 01:44 PM
I would go with the deeper center cabinet and lower the left and right. The crown will actually look better IMO and the outer cabinets are more user friendly.

You will need some extra crown because the center cabinet side crown will extend back to the wall.

Old 03-31-16, 07:55 PM
N
Thanks guys. You confirmed what I felt was the right option. I actually held off doing the cutting for the center cabinet casing today in case I decided to go for the deeper version. So you agree that dropping the side cabinets by say 4 inches should be enough - I'd think any lower and it might look silly.

As for the point about the accent lighting, I'd already been thinking along those lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: