plywood selection for painted bathroom cabinet

Old 04-06-16, 11:20 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
plywood selection for painted bathroom cabinet

I am going to be building a cabinet for a bathroom to have some extra storage. It will be painted inside and out. I'll need 3/4" plywood for the sides and face. I cringe at the idea of wandering in to HD or Lowes and THEN trying to figure out what kind of plywood I need. Any specific advice on how to narrow it down? Again, it will be painted, so it doesn't have to have fancy graining, but I want a decent, smooth surface on both sides without having to pay a fortune. I also need it to be a full 4x8 sheet, instead of a project panel half or quarter size piece... and I'd also prefer to stay away from MDF. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-06-16, 11:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Most any BC plywood should be ok. While it's best to use an oil base primer [preferably enamel undercoater] you might do ok with a good latex primer. I'd suggest a waterborne enamel for the finish coat as it dries to a hard film like oil base enamel but doesn't yellow with age .... it also dries quicker

It would be better to build the face out of 1x lumber.

Old 04-06-16, 12:16 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I like birch plywood for painting because it doesn't have much grain and paints well. Maple is also excellent, but not as commonly found in big box stores.

Old 04-06-16, 02:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
My first choice would be Poplar, followed by Birch or Maple.

Old 04-08-16, 12:53 PM
A
Thanks, all! I appreciate your feedback.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: