Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Carpentry, Cabinetry and Interior Woodworking
Reload this Page >

How to carefully remove 1980's Kitchen laminate counter top and under cabinets

Old 05-05-16, 06:28 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I need some advice on How to carefully remove about 20 ft. of laminate counter top and kitchen under cabinets.
Looking underneath the double-sink cabinet, I was hoping to see how the cabinets were fastened to the back wall and how the laminate counter was fastened underneath to the under cabinets. I didn't really see anything and wondered if the cabinets and counter top are assembled in such a way so that you don't see any exposed fastening screws or bolts...?

The overhead cabinets are easy as the screws are through the Top of the cabinet on the outside and where two cabinets are joined - through the support frame along the joint where they meet.
I suspect that the laminate counter top will have to be removed first in order to access the location where the wall-mount fasteners are installed and where separate cabinets are fastened together.

I hope I'm asking the right questions but appreciate your help if you know How to do this correctly.
thanks,
greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-16, 06:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
Look at the cleats that are under the shelves - that is where the screws should be. You might need a flashlight to help you find them. The countertop is also secured from underneath although some use adhesive too.

Old 05-05-16, 07:31 AM
The base cabinets should be secured the same as the upper cabinets, with screws through a mounting bar at the top back of the cabinets.

It's unusual for a professional to glue down a laminate counter top, but possible.
Hopefully the counter is not home made and the MDF underlayment was screwed down from above before applying the laminate, that's bad news. A factory made counter will have a front drip edge and the backsplash will be integrated and coped into the counter, all one piece.

Old 05-05-16, 08:42 AM
G
Thanks for the replies

marksr & Handyone,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I didn't look to closely, just took a peek with a flashlight under the sink cabinet.

I think I'm good with the laminate countertop being manufactured and not home-made as what you described matches what I have including the rounded up-turned front facing edge and back splash.

greynold99

Old 05-05-16, 09:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's unusual for a professional to glue down a laminate counter top, but possible.
I didn't mean adhesive only. I've been on jobs where they used adhesive and screws, not sure if they wanted to be extra sure that it would stay put or if they cheated some on the fasteners.

Old 05-05-16, 09:31 AM
The only reason I mention adhesive is because sometimes it's near impossible to remove.
Depending on the adhesive used and the cabinet material, trying to remove the counter can destroy the cabinets. I've been lucky to get almost all off for counter only jobs, tile and laminate. There have been a few where the thing wasn't coming off. I call it the installer getting nail happy

Old 05-05-16, 11:07 AM
C
Received 96 Votes on 75 Posts
I removed a laminate counter top over site built cabinets. The plywood counter top was screwed to the base cabinets from the top and then the laminate was applied. To make matters worse the laminated back splash was attached to the wall studs the same way - screwed to the wall and then the laminate was applied.

There was no way to carefully remove it.

Old 05-05-16, 11:26 AM
Thanks CW for a good example of nail happy! I always joke nails or screws were on sale that day.

I have some stories, like 2 day counter top tear outs just so the cabinets can be saved.

Old 05-05-16, 11:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
What gets me is the new houses I've painted where they installed the cheapest cabinets they could find and then set a corian or granite top on them.

When nail guns first came out I painted behind a carpenter that was trigger happy. We used to say he was fire proofing the trim since metal doesn't burn. I counted a 4' case opening one time where he put 80 some nails in it. I always wondered if maybe he had painter's putty stock.

Old 05-05-16, 11:50 AM
W
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Counter Top

Look for corner braces inside the top corners of the base cabinets. You should find screws through the corner braces into the underside of the counter top.

Look along the edges of the stiles where two base units join. A right-handed carpenter will usually drill through the right side stile toward the stile on the left. Look for two or three screws at each joint.