help with workbench design

Old 05-20-16, 07:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
help with workbench design

I have been working on the design of a workbench made of palet planks and knock down. The workbench is for my own use, in my own appartment.
I have made a model of it in sketchup, and a video about the model.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK76ZXuABmM

Yes, i know the bench is probably over-engineered, but that is what happens when you start designing with the limitations of the material. If i could just use any material, i could probably make it more simple.
I have no budget for the bench, not any kind of money i can or want to spend on it. I wouldnt use pallet planks otherwise.

I would love to get some feedback before i start building it. The main doubts i have about the project are:
– Will the thing hold? (explained in the video)
– Can i make it less complex in any way?
– Given the low quality of the materials used (pallets), did i oversize the pieces enough? Is there any part of the bench that would be compromised?
I am not so worried about some piece eventually breaking because of “long-term stress”, because i could easily replace a single piece. I am more worried about some part of the bench being not strong enough and breaking the first day i start using the bench.

Thanks

Old 05-20-16, 12:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The one thing about engineering, you are living in a utopic arena. Pallets are the furthest thing from standard as you can get. The wood will vary in thickness and in width to the extent that an engineered table such as the one you designed may not work. I can't imagine building such a thing as a work bench. The pallets may be free or cheap, but the time needed to build it, mill the wood to perfection would be exorbitant.

Old 05-20-16, 01:41 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Along with the dimensional inconsistencies, the wood often used is pallets can be some of the worst as far as cutting, drilling, screwing and nailing. There are all sizes and shapes of benches, depending on what the jobs will be, but, being in an apartment, I assume you won't be doing a lot of heavy work. Something like a pair of two drawer file cabinets and an exterior door, which you could probably pick up very reasonably from a Habitat Restore, would be pretty solid and easy to move.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: