Appropriate Blum hinge for my cabinets?

Old 07-24-16, 02:03 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Appropriate Blum hinge for my cabinets?

I am building my own inset face-framed cabinets and am ready to install the doors. However, I'm not sure which hinge to choose. I was looking at the Rockler guide and my situation doesn't really match either of the choices. The doors will be full inset so that would call for the type that mount to the back of the faceframe. EXCEPT my faceframe is essentially flush with the carcass in some places (for example where two carcasses were joined together. What I need (and have in another similar cabinet that was previously installed) is a model that mounts to the carcass in the same plane as the faceframe lip (I can use shim-blocks to fir out the mounting point). This would be like the overlay style in the guide but set back into the cabinet somewhat on a small block of wood. I removed one of the hinges from my other cabinets and using numbers on the back of the cup deduced they were these (I think). However I still can't figure out the model. There was 74.155 and -01.01 stamped on the inside of the cup.

Any advice someone can give on what would be my choice would be appreciated. I really need something with three-axis adjustability and >90 travel.

Old 07-24-16, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Do you have a wood workers store near you? They usually have a display with hinges there. Here is a bigger selection.
https://woodworker.com/c-Hardware-hinges/concealed/

Old 07-24-16, 03:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
You need Blum Clip Top hinges, 110° should work. You will have to choose the model of hinge you want, and the plate style. It's not too difficult.

Here's a link to Blum:
At bottom of the page are downloads; Click on "Planning Tools"
A Window will pop-up; Click on "Planning Tools for Panel Construction" and download the file.

The tool will let you select the door style (inset), door thickness, and let you see the available hinges and plates.

CLIP top

Old 07-24-16, 10:00 PM
S
pugsl- No wood workers here. But I am going to head to one of the other cabinet hardware stores tomorrow...

Handyone- I followed your directions, but the excel spreadsheet is giving me trouble. I can't enter in any number for the door thickness. It gives me a popup and then clears my entry. I'm entering 19mm since my doors are 3/4. I was looking at 110 degree full inset with 19mm side panel thickness.
I had another question though. what is the difference between mounting with cams vs wing plates? The ones I currently have are cams FWIW.

Price is definitely a consideration for me. I don't necessarily need blumotion or any of that.

Old 07-25-16, 12:42 PM
In step 2, Dimensions, enter 19 for door and 19 for side panel.
Don't enter anything in the overlay section.
In the Inset Application section, enter Reveal (R) value as 4mm (this actually means 0-4 mm)

I come up with hinge #70T3750.

You need to choose the plate that looks like your old ones, and has the option of using wood screws to secure the plate to the cabinet side. Just look at the list and choose one.

If you want to bore the side panels for plates that attach with dowels, you can do that also.

Old 07-25-16, 09:59 PM
S
Still couldn't get the spreadsheet to work right, so thanks for posting that. That does indeed look like my hinge. I'm impressed that Woodworker Express has them for $2.14 for the hinge and plate. That seems pretty darn cheap for pretty fancy hinges. Thanks for the help!

Old 07-26-16, 05:07 AM
Price is definitely a consideration for me. I don't necessarily need blumotion or any of that.
If not too late, the hinge number I posted is Free Swinging, you said you don't need any features.
I would recommend you get the same hinge in self-closing, they are only a little more.

Hinge #71T3750

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: