Building a 4 panel door

Old 07-27-16, 12:37 PM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Building a 4 panel door

I am having the hardest time ever finding a 4 panel door for my house. (Wisconsin if anyone has one) All the other doors in the house are 4 panel, and I installed a pocket door and want to match it. Doesn't have to be perfect match but would like it close. I really want a solid wood door and not that plasticy stuff they sell at HD or something. And to get one built I was quoted at like 250 is the cheapest (Pine from HD).

Do you think this could be built for cheaper? I have built my own cabinets before and they turned out really well. Is a door that much harder? I am just worried about working with like a 1 3/8" lumber compared to just 3/4" like my cabinets.

Here is a picture I grabbed quick of my doors I have now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cm1oxqcxcx..._0970.JPG?dl=0

Thanks everyone.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-16, 01:03 PM
K
Maybe do a tounge and groove type and use something like this on both sides of the raised panel?

https://www.amazon.com/Yonico-12141-...el+router+bits

Then I suppose something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Yonico-12236-...le+router+bits

For the rails and stiles? Then whatever is left in the middle on both sides, cut out?

Old 07-27-16, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Building a door will require a bunch of specialized tool bits. The panels will need to be relieved and not only are the bits expensive ($100), but you will also need bits for the groove around the panels. I know it is your time, but building doors is very time consuming. The doors are very cumbersome to handle once you start putting them together.

If you are painting the doors, I don't see why a smooth 4 panel door (Masonite) in solid core wouldn't work. Probably $150 or so. It's not real wood, but painting wood makes it disappear, anyway.

Good find on the bit for the raised panel. Be aware it takes a 1/2" router.

Old 07-27-16, 01:20 PM
K
Thanks. Yeah I am not very worried about time and stuff. And I will be painting it. But of course I found this link.

Masonite 32 in. x 80 in. Solidoor Smooth 4-Panel Square Solid Core Primed Composite Single Prehung Interior Door-19358 - The Home Depot

Question was asked if it comes in a slab. And of course it doesn't. This door might be the death of me...

Old 07-27-16, 01:24 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you haven't tried a few real lumber companys, make that your first step. Checked my local yard's catalog and I could have one next week for well under a $100 (Paint grade).

If you will enjoy the project and don't mind spending quite a bit of time on it, and you have tools to flatten and thickness stock (or are willing to pay someone to do it), then go for it. If the only reason you are considering it is to save money, then buy the door.

Doors are fairly tricky. You need to use good straight grain stock for the frame so it doesn't warp. You need strong joinery, which usually mean mortise and tenons for the frame. The panels can be plywood with applied molding, so that part's not too hard. Materials would probably be under $100, but you'll have a lot of time in it.

Old 07-27-16, 02:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
I would just add that a masonite door paints up a lot better than a real wood door.
I'd only go with real wood if the door was going to be stained/poly'd.

Old 07-27-16, 02:41 PM
K
I will try that then. I don't really know of many lumber yards in the area, but I will call around. Thanks for all the help

Old 07-27-16, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
250 is a bargain, IMO. I got a quote the other day for a couple raised panel cabinet doors (3/4" thick) and they came to $400. $20 / sq ft.

Old 07-27-16, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Raised panel bits cost a small fortune and weren't really designed to be used in a hand held router.

I've been woodworking a long time and wouldn't bother anymore trying to build a door to match the quality of some door manufacturers. That includes cabinet doors. If you are willing to finish the door you can get a high-quality door at a reasonable price.