Removing curvy decorative trim under cabinets

Old 08-06-16, 08:10 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing curvy decorative trim under cabinets

I signed the contract on my first home today. The kitchen cabinets have a decorative molding or trim underneath, that I would like to remove. (I want the bottom of the cabinets to be straight/flush.

From the photos, it looks like the trim may be "built in" to the cabinets themselves, as opposed to being attached as an easily-removed piece of trim wood.

If this is the case:

- It looks like the trim curves extend above the bottom of the cabinet. I think if I were to cut or sand them down straight, then the the front-bottom would no longer be flush with the sides.

- If this is true, would it be wise to "fill in" the curves with something, then sand it down straight? If so, what filler should I use?

Old 08-07-16, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
From what I can see, that rail is made into the cabinet face frame. While it may be possible to remove the bottom rail (after removing doors), you may can replace it with a new piece of wood, but It is probably going to be a test of will against practicality. The cabinets look fine, and I am afraid it may not be feasible to change them that drastically.

Old 08-07-16, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
If built into the bottom rail (Which I also think they are) you could cut them off with a small saw like a multi saw (like a Multimaster) or a plunge mini saw (like a Versi-cut) Just make sure to clamp a guide rail to keep you 100% straight or it will look very bad.

I would also agree that they do not look bad. In fact, as a whole, I think it is a pretty good looking kitchen. If I were you, I would move in and get settled and take the kitchen for a test drive. You might find that the cabinet detail is not that hard to live with compared messing up the cabinets trying to cut it off.

Old 08-07-16, 06:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts

I am not a woodworker nor cabinet builder by any stretch of the imagination. :NO NO NO: But I have a saw and told sharpening shop. It appears to be a scallop design cut into the fascia board. Done with a high speed router mounted into a table saw table. Therefore providing a perfect true, level and straight surface.

In order to cut off the scallop design, doors etc and front board would need to be removed. Placed on a large table saw then cut off. Idea and intent is to have a straight and level cut. Any attempt to cut scallop off by hand using your eye etc. would not result in a straight and level cut. From a distance any imperfections or error would become highly visible or ruined....

IMO some choices. Hire a profession and be prepared to pay dearly for services rendered. If your handy in woodworking and have needed tools, power machinery and skills attempt it. Realizing any screw up might be hard to correct and replacement face board of that exact type and or thickness, may be difficult to find. May need to be custom cut, etc.

Last choice is to leave it as it. Really doesn't look all that bad IMO. Actually for it's time period and prior usage pretty good shape. Nice kitchen... BTW: I too have been down this path with scallop in not as good a condition many years back...

Old 08-07-16, 08:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I agree almost impossible to remove without major work. Close up of corner where side connects will help.

Old 08-07-16, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It wouldn't be practical to cut the scallops off, you would just have to glue another piece on to make up the difference in height.

I would cut out the bottom rail and replace it. It's not too hard.
You can cut the old piece out very cleanly:

Use a multi-tool to cut close to the joints, leave about 1/16" of material where the rail meets the stile. Be careful but the cut doesn't have to look pretty.
Use a very sharp chisel to scrape away the remaining sliver of wood and any glue. Measure your new piece to fit tight between the end stiles, then glue and nail it on.
You will need a table saw and a miter saw to cut the new piece.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: