Using similar-sized window, door, baseboard trim

Old 08-08-16, 01:43 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Using similar-sized window, door, baseboard trim

I'm putting new trim into a house Trim for everything... windows, doors, and baseboard. I'm probably going to go with something clean and modern-looking. I like the wide/thick styling on Craftsman type of trim. I also like just simple, wider-than-traditional type of trim. What I am trying to avoid is having my baseboard not appear to wide if my window trim is a little bit on the narrow side, and vice-versa.

Is there a general rule for making sure your baseboard is not sized out-of-proportion with the window trim or door trim? Or any general rule for making sure any trim piece doesn't look disproportionately sized when compared to the trim in other parts of the house?

Old 08-08-16, 02:02 PM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
Depends on the overall scale.
Small windows, 8' walls, small rooms look better with smaller trim with the exception of the base board.
3-1/2 base looks silly in any house.
Google back band molding, and base cap molding.
The back band can make the window trim look like a picture frame instead of just flat bland 1X's.
The base cap will keep that base from being a dust collector.

Old 08-08-16, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
Most craftsman style homes with 4" casing will have 1x8 baseboard.

But 1x4 casing doesn't look bad with 1x6 baseboard either. Heads are generally a little wider than the legs when the head is a built up entablature. (Bottom fillet moulding and top cornice added) Backbanding is also a common option.

Old 08-09-16, 06:43 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I had a Google look at some different types of trim styles and band molding.

I think I am leaning towards the Craftsman type of trim, but I am not sure if it would look weird in a house with 8 foot ceilings. What do you think?

Here is an example I found on the internet of a style and sizing of trim I was interested in... Do you think this is too big for a house with 8 foot standard walls and ceiling heights?

Old 08-09-16, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
Doesn't look bad, but that 1x6 on top should line up with the vertical edges. The top and bottom 1x2 should look like it wraps around it... not be the same exact length.

Old 08-10-16, 04:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree that the top board should be bordered on the sides with 1x2, although I would leave it proud of the stiles for effect. THEN I would border the stiles with 1x2 on the outside, and extend the stool tail another 3/4" on each end.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: