Installing Interior Shiplap

Old 09-11-16, 05:47 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Interior Shiplap

My wife wants to add pine 1x8 shiplap board in the babies nursery ( to much HGTV Haha). We are looking to do the ceiling and one wall. I was thinking about using my 16 gauge finishing nailer to nail the boards, however on the ceiling there is 1/2 drywall. Will a 2 1/2 inch 16 gauge finishing nail hold the boards in the ceiling? I would have a bout 3/4" in the pine 1/2" in the drywall leaving just 1 1/4" in the ceiling joists. Maybe 3 nails per board at each joist? I'm guessing the wall will be ok but i'm just afraid of the weight of the boards on the nails. Any one have another options for me or will the 16 gauge nails work. Thank you.

Old 09-11-16, 05:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,980 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
Yes, that should work just fine. I would probably only use 2 nails though... keep them at least 1" from the edge of the board.

You will want to find the center of each stud, drive a nail along each side of each stud to make sure you find the center of each one, then chalk lines to represent the centers. This will help you as you put up the boards, because you don't want to miss. With a finish gun you often can't tell if you have missed the stud, so you want to be sure you hit them the first time.

Old 09-12-16, 06:28 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I'll def do the chalk line to make my life easier. Its def a pain when you miss and have no clue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: