Cabinet install on severely unlevel floor

Old 09-26-16, 08:34 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cabinet install on severely unlevel floor

Hi

Installing a 50" base next to a 36" utility cabinet in laundry room. The bottom rails of each cabinet have built-in feet (e.g. no toe kicks). For the 50" base, the floor drops 7/8" over 50" run! argh. What is standard practice for leveling this cabinet? fixing floor is not an option. many thanks!

Old 09-26-16, 08:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I don't understand your question. You level the cabinet. It sounds like you will have to shim under the feet. I start setting cabinets at the high point in the floor and that one will be as low as your cabinet can go. Then all the following cabinets are spaced/shimmed up to match.

Old 09-26-16, 09:06 AM
J
Thanks for quick reply. The design of the foot does not lend itself well to shimming close to an inch high. But it could be done w/ scrap cabinet filler. I wasn't sure if I should try splitting the difference, trim one foot down and shim the other side, or just shim one side. I attached image of Traditional Arch used. Unfortunately, of the 4 styles of feet, the one I selected is the hardest to shim if I want to maintain the bottom curve.

Attached Images  
Old 09-26-16, 11:25 AM
trim one foot down and shim the other side, or just shim one side.
Ideally there will be no shims. You could level the cabinet using shims and then scribe the cabinet to the floor. After scribing the cabinets using a compass and a jigsaw, the shims can be removed.

This cutting is a little advanced and let us know if you need tips.

Old 09-26-16, 01:10 PM
J
I have some scribing experience, but if I did scribe to the floor, about 1/3 of the left foot would be removed. Also, i'd probably have to reshape the cut foot, in situ. Not impossible, but a little bit more work than bringing the piece to band saw.

Not sure, which would look worse, cutting an inch off the left foot, or raising the right side by an inch.

Old 09-26-16, 01:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'd consider custom cutting my own kick plate, it can still be decorative as you want .... dependent on your tools/skills

Old 09-26-16, 02:58 PM
J
Thanks marksr...at this point, the kick plate is integrated into the cab base and painted. i think that ship has sailed for me at this point!

Old 09-26-16, 05:47 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
And fixing the floor is out of the question?

Glad this isn't my project.

Old 09-26-16, 06:04 PM
cutting an inch off the left foot, or raising the right side by an inch.
I would split the difference. You want to level both the 36" cabinet and the 50" using shims.
Once the cabinets are joined together and level, you scribe the bottoms to the floor.

A good jigsaw is in order. I use a straightedge and a utility knife to score the cut lines. The score keeps the cuts splinter-free. Use blue tape to protect the cabinet finish.

Last edited by Handyone; 09-26-16 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-28-16, 07:56 AM
J
thanks for all replies/ideas. After much deliberation, I think I'm going cut 3/4" off the bottom of the foot (at the top of the curve so its a straight foot), then join a new 1.5" formed section with left over filler strip. Probably have a visible joint line, but i think this would be easiest solution for me to tackle. thanks again.

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: