Building bench on un-even surface

Old 12-01-16, 10:44 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building bench on un-even surface

I am gearing up to build a work bench that will sit on an old, uneven concrete floor that slopes to a drain. What is the best way to ensure the bench top is level on the uneven surface; need to determine the proper length of each leg. I have ideas, but I just wanted to hear from the carpentry experts before forging ahead.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-16, 10:55 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'd lean toward leveling feet.

One example: http://catalog.monroeengineering.com...FQaUaQod028GYQ

Old 12-01-16, 01:18 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I would build it with same length legs, then start where the highest one will set with straightedge and 4' level to see how much shim I needed under the remaining legs. This way you don't have to cut the legs again if you decide to relocate it. If it's going to be a built-in, with a ledger lagged to the wall, then yes, I would use a level to mark the front legs and cut them to fit.

Old 12-02-16, 06:31 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
If you don't want to use shims, cut the legs to level as follows. Take the height of the maximum gap and subtract the height of the gap on the leg to be cut. ALL HEIGHTS ARE MEASURED FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE LEG.This is the height to cut from the leg. For example, with the table level, one leg is against the floor ( 0 gap) . The other 3 legs have a gap of 1, 2 and 3 respectively with 3 being the maximum gap..
For the leg with 0 gap, you cut off 3 minus 0 equals 3. You cut 3 minus 1 equals 2 from the leg with the 1 gap. You cut 3 minus 2 equals 1 from the leg with the 2 gap. You cut nothing from the leg with the 3 gap since 3 minus 3 equals 0. Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-16, 07:49 AM
T
Received 30 Votes on 28 Posts
You've gotten good information but I'd like to simplify it. Place initial boards on the wall and level them, then build everything around them, keeping all your work level as you continue. If you'd like, add level furring strips to the wall as needed.