Need help with making keyboard stand

Old 12-17-16, 09:31 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with making keyboard stand

Hello, I am new to carpentry and would appreciate if someone could guide me through the steps of making this keyboard and mouse stand that i need for my stand-up desk. I have found some pictures online and have included here for your reference. I figured this should be an easy project to get my feet wet.

Approximate dimension will be 30"W x 12"H x 13"D.

I am not sure what wood to use and where to get it. Does home depot carry the wood I need? Its for my office use so appearance is important.

I have the basic homeowner tools like circular saw, dremel rotary, etc.

Attached Images   
Old 12-18-16, 04:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
From the pictures it appears to be common 3/4" cabinet grade (7 ply) plywood with edging. The cuts are straight forward 45 degree cuts to eliminate the edge from showing. We can't see it from here, but it will need a backing to keep it stable. Use another piece of plywood between the legs extending from the top down. The legs appear to be furniture coasters. I would make sure they have a rubber backing to keep them from slipping all over the countertop.

Old 12-18-16, 04:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Since you are new to carpentry you might consider forgoing the 45 cuts and just laying the top over the end pieces. You could dress it up with molding.

Old 12-18-16, 05:37 AM
Here's a board you can use:

Edge-Glued Panel (Common: 21/32 in. x 18 in. x 4 ft.; Actual: 0.656 in. x 17.25 in. x 48 in.)-493554 - The Home Depot

You would need to rip the width down to 13", which home stores don't normally do.
A lumber store usually provides milling at a cost, they have table saws and everything.
The advantage of edge-glued panels is they are less prone to cupping than a wide board, and you have solid wood to work with.

Old 12-18-16, 05:59 PM
E
Thanks for the link Handyone. I'll pick this up today from HD. Once I cut it to 13" what can I do to give it a finished look (no sharp edges, splinters etc)?

Also, should i use nails or adhesive for the legs? would you recommend polishing/painting this kind of wood?

Good point Marksr, I like the 45` cut look, I will try it on another piece of wood first.

Old 12-18-16, 06:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If using a circular saw to make your cuts always use a speed square to guide the saw.

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 129
Size:  73.2 KB

Old 12-18-16, 10:33 PM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Unless you have a table saw, or radial arm saw avalible I agree about forgetting about the 45 deg. corners.
Another choice for material is the laminated shelving board I've seen sold in Lowes in the lumber area.
My Lowe's has a Radial arm saw and could even do all the cuts for you.
If I had to do this job I'd be using Tite Bond II glue and my Kreg tool.

Old 12-19-16, 04:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Oh, poo. Attach a straight edge to the width of the board and set the saw at 45 degrees and cut it. Many people don't have access to big saws. What he is building is in a simple form. I don't think we need to be scaring him regarding the technique.

Yes, the laminated lumber is a good choice, but it will require either 45 degree edge cuts or matching iron on laminate edging. The latter may work well, too.

Old 12-19-16, 07:03 AM
Speaking of edging, you could cover this with veneer.
The veneer is much better looking wood. You can cut it with a utility knife and the edge joints are pretty much invisible.
All it takes to finish the edges is a razor and a sanding block with fine sandpaper.

Old 12-19-16, 11:12 AM
E
I just ordered these items from Home Depot. I know I could have done without the Kreg jig but after Joe mentioned it I looked it up. I think its a great tool and i will need it in the future.

Also, I was able to find a wood size that better fits my project and requires minimum cutting. i probably wont need so much wood but the extra is to cover for any mistakes. As you can see i couldn't find a decent coaster. I was thinking to use the below anti skid strips instead. Any other suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Slip-Tap...PF31ZV52P9QYX5

Attached Images  

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: