Legs for boosting up a pantry cabinet.

Old 01-02-17, 07:19 PM
P
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legs for boosting up a pantry cabinet.

Happy new year everybody,

First project of the year is to resolve my new pantry cupboard that evidently is too close to the heat register. It's filling up with warm air - which I don't think is good for the food or the airflow. It's a big particle board cupboard sitting between the wall (with vent) and the fridge not installed, so it could use skirting and some finishing up top, anyway.

Since the register goes up to 12 3/4" up the wall, I intend like to raise the cabinet up high enough that the air will blow under. We could possibly use the space underneath for the dogs bowls.

I'm planning to prop it up with either:
- two 14" table legs from the nearby lowes, and build a box or leg to support the back half.
- OR -
- four 14" legs

& then add some skirting to the bottom, and possibly close up the top with crown moulding. Not installing it permanently just yet because the floor is getting replaced soon, too.

Any thoughts on which method I should use to prop it up? A lot of kitchen cabinets have smaller legs but I'd rather have a weird temporary cabinet before I move than a weird vent before I list.Name:  IMG_1057.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  25.6 KB

Last edited by PatNY138; 01-02-17 at 07:21 PM. Reason: photo
Old 01-03-17, 06:30 AM
You could just set it on an L shaped deck made of plywood, about 21" deep.

The left side panel would sit on the floor, the right side can be attached to the wall with a cleat or angle brackets.

If I lifted the cabinet, I would cut off the toe kick first.
This means taking about 4 to 4-1/2" off the bottom of the cabinet.

Name:  IMG_1057.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  25.1 KB

Old 01-03-17, 07:24 AM
G
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Brian's suggestion but I think I would use a grille on the front to add some additional strength and to keep the space from collecting dirt, toys or cats.

Old 01-03-17, 10:21 AM
P
The leg/box idea is great. I started designing a box with a grille front and a diagnoal partition inside to direct the air forward. I'm trying to decide now if there's a way to either totally cover or totally expose the wall vent so it doesn't look like an afterthought, which it was.

I have a brad nailer but I don't have the space/setup to cut plywood; you folks think I could design it and cut it all at the store? I've cut trim at HD but not sheets.

Old 01-03-17, 12:34 PM
Home stores have panel saws. They will rip 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, I don't know if they rip 2 x 4 sheets (to save you money on material).

Have them rip the sheet lengthwise 21".
From that strip they can cut a piece 14.5 wide, that's your side panel.
Cut the top piece the width of the pantry measured from the right wall.

The 21" rip puts your grille about 3" back from the face of the cabinet.

If you want to hide the register completely, you can pull the entire panty forward before building your base.
The carpentry would be a little harder. You would build frames at the back of the cabinet to secure it to the wall, project it forward.
The left side would be covered with 1/4" skin to hide the build out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: